Saturday, February 20, 2010

fitness regimen


I know a lot of guys have more rigorous fitness programs than me! But I'm working on improving mine. Right now, here's what has worked for me:

  • diet - by eating less (usually just skipping lunch) and exercising more, I've dropped 15 lbs, going from 180 to 165. I try to eat healthier, and skip some of the junk food I used to eat. I still have a weakness for a warm apple fritter, 'tho! You can see my before and after pictures here. My wife has me on a variety of vitamin and mineral supplements, but as with exercise, I'm not always as diligent about it as I should be!

  • exercise - I belong to a gym, and try to get a weekly workout with weights, treadmill, and a variety of gym equipment, focusing on my torso, back, arms, and cardio. At home, I try to do situps, pushups, and elliptical on a regular basis. I generally try for 100 cals on the elliptical (about 8 minutes), 30 situps, and 20 pushups, per session.
I recently read Laird Hamilton's Force of Nature book, and was impressed with the seriousness with which he approaches his fitness, health, and workouts. A very inspiring book.

1 comment:

  1. I try to do the gym thing no less than twice a week. Three is what I shoot for. I see fitness as a lifelong endeavor, so take it slow, take it steady, and make it a part of your life. Contrary to what the "experts" say, my advise to guys our age is to not focus on results. Know that what you're doing is good for your health, both physically and mentally, and just like everything else in life, you only get out what you put in. You're in it for the long haul, so make it part of a balanced life.

    ReplyDelete